Friday, April 2, 2021

The Faberge Secret by Charles Belfoure




The Faberge Secret is my second book by Charles Belfoure after The Paris Architect. So understandably the expectations were set very high.

Setting

The Fabergé secret at the onset establishes the Russian cultural and social scene during Tsar Nicholas's reign who believed that he had been ordained by God to rule over Russia.The opulent and lavish lifestyle of the Russian Imperial court and aristocracy has been vividly described with the royals indulging in balls, parades etc completely oblivious to grim reality. It shows the inception of the Russian Revolution and how and why seeds of Revolution were sown. It also shows the disparity between aristocrats and peasants, pogroms against Jews and their oppression.

Storyline

Along with all this, it is also a story about the friendship between Tsar Nicholas and Prince Dimitri, a love story of Dimitri and Katya. Prince Dimitri experiences the moral dilemma of either staying loyal to his friendship with Tsar or commit to the birth of the revolution which he truly believes in.


My Thoughts

It has been a dilemma for me too. I have been wavering between whether I loved the book or found it just about okay. Since I love historical fiction this one was right up my alley. Also, I have rarely read about Russian history in fiction so I completely lapped it up. The marvellous depiction of Russian architecture and royal opulence painted a vivid picture nearly bringing it to life. 

Contrarily, I felt for some reason the title was slightly misleading. Fabergé was somewhere in the background emerging here and there by way of eggs or other souvenirs, never really coming to fore. Also, the book took its time in establishing the luxurious lifestyle of the rich and miserable working condition of the poor but the end was abrupt which left me wanting

Star Rating - 3/5

Recommend - Yes (just for the story setting)


No comments:

Post a Comment