Wednesday, April 14, 2021

The Vine of Desire (Anju and Sudha #2) by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni

 



Setting

The book is set in California, United States of America, where Anju is settled with her husband Sunil.


Storyline

Vine of desires continues where the first book (Sister of My Heart) left off after Sudha with her daughter travels to the US to live with/visit her cousin Anju. Sudha had left her marital home because her husband’s family was against the birth of a girl child. Anju had suffered a loss plunging her into an abyss. This creates a distance between her and Sunil. At the same time, Sunil is suffering from a double loss - of his child and his relationship with his wife. This rekindles his repressed feelings for his wife's cousin. Although Anju, Sudha and Sunil live together under the same roof, their world couldn't be more further apart. Each of them is fighting their insecurities, vulnerabilities and inner demons, struggling to deal with real life.


My thoughts

Even after reading not so good reviews on Goodreads, I read this book only because I had read the previous one - Sister of My Heart which was a decent read. A big mistake! I should have stopped at the first one. The big reveal at the end of the last book was pushed to the back of the shelf in this. It was referred to only once which seemed more like an afterthought. Everyone came across as extremely inconsiderate and wrapped up in themselves. The book starts on a miserable note and is full of it. At times I felt misery was seeping out of the book, making me miserable too. Honestly, reading it was emotionally draining. I would not recommend the book to anyone.


Star Rating - 1/5

Recommend - A big no!

No comments:

Post a Comment